Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Give pizza chance

(See what I did with the title there? Clever, I know.)

[Scroll down for Mexi-veggie Fajita Pizza recipe!]

Hope your 4th was free and fabulous! I apologize for the late post, my 12 readers. After a glorious holiday weekend, it was all I could manage to get out of bed and snap back into reality today. It was drinking out of a fire hose at work today followed by a trip to Whole Foods along with the rest of my neighborhood, so no time to get a good start on bloggin'.

Now, let's talk about a food that we are all a little too friendly with: pizza.

I don't know about you guys, but for as long as I can remember I've had a short list of foods that are just banned from my life forever and ever. I refer to it as my black list. That really sounds like some hardcore masochism, but believe it or not this collection of no-no's happened somewhat naturally. It consists of foods that I, at some point, strategically decided were not worth the taste-to-heart attack ratio.

In pizza's company on my black list: McDonald's (please don't tell my fiance), chinese food, country fried chicken.

My reasoning for subconsciously creating this list of waistline bullies to avoid is probably obvious, but in case it is not, here is photographical evidence:


Looks moderately tasty, but tasty enough to forgive myself the next day? Probably not.


Mmmmm just look at that shiny shimmery grease.


Too far ... but ok, seriously, is that real?!!

I think the moral of this story is that, at least in my book, pizza has been getting a bad wrap for years. 

So when a dear friend of mine generously surprised me with a birthday gift card to Piece Pizza in Wicker Park, it was a battle between brain and belly. The legendary Piece, which doubles as a microbrewery, is constantly slammed every weekend - they must be doing something amazing! But, alas, pizza was my longtime foe - how could it be trusted? 

Ladies & gents, this was not the greasy cheesedough pie of days past. 

"White pizza", brushed with olive oil and garlic in lieu of sugary marinara? Ultra thin crust? Customizable toppings includes veggies of all shapes, sizes and colors??



A pizza I can feel good about? Sign me up! My white pizza with spinach, red onion & jalapenos hit the spot without making me feel like a house. 


John was a happy camper too. Notice the his & hers pies. JC mowed down on some chicken-mashed potato-BBQ situation.

After also ordering a caprese salad with mixed greens and balsamic, I had successfully covered all of my healthy living bases. For that, Piece gets a big thumbs up from this lady. 

With my mind freshly opened to pizza, I got a little creative in the kitchen tonight and want to share the deliciousness that ensued. I've been dreaming of trying this sucker out and it did not disappoint! 

It was actually inspired by a Whole Foods recipe, Chicken Taco Pizza


Um, helloyum. I modified it to fit my puzzle pieces and here's what I came up with!

Fajita Mexi-veggie Pizza



2 C. Pico de Gallo (buy it fresh at Whole Foods or TJs, or make your own!)
1/2 C. mix of red & orange peppers
1/2 C. red onion, diced
2 jalapenos, diced 
1 whole wheat pizza crust
1 C. low fat shredded Mexican cheese mix 
1 avocado 
Taco seasoning, garlic powder & chili powder, to taste
Olive oil, about 1-2 T

First up, rub that dough with some olive oil, then spread the pico evenly. At this point the zesty salsa smelled so amazing and I hadn't even done anything significant yet!


Next, spread your cheese and diced veggies throughout. I had planned on actually seasoning the peppers & onions by themselves with the spices, but my roommate and I had some Casey Anthony real talk in the kitchen so I got a little distracted. If this happens to you, just season the entire pizza as you please.

Bake that sucker at 400 for about 15 minutes and voila ... 


Cut into 4 big pieces and add 1/4 cup of your avocado per serving ....


Amazing!!! 

Mine was quite spicy so if you're not a fan of the heat, get out of the kitchen  man up  skip the jalapeno or leave out the chili powder. 

Enjoy your healthy & delicious pizza!!

What's your favorite healthy-makeover recipe?? Please share if you got 'em!



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That asian Pizza Hut picture looks like it came right out of my wildest dreams: asian, pigs in a blanket, cheese, and slider patties. All my favorite things. Yours actually might look even more appetizing though (at least it did in person)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i need to try this!!!! looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete