Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Magical Mushrooms for a Chef in Training

[Scroll down for my Grilled Portobello Burger recipe idea!]

Happy Tuesday party peeps! My Tuesday was not all that happy. Lame, but honest.

It could have something to do with the fact that my Tuesday feels more like Wednesday, or Thursday. My work schedule is about to return back to a normal, manageable one here, starting next week. I just need life to calm down a bit, between career, home-making, and just realizing what a hot mess I am.

Seriously, I need a haircut almost as badly as this guy


(Please watch the whole thing. I'm scared.)

As you guys know, I am learning a lot about what it's like to live with a boy who is not your dad or brother (aka who doesn't have a mom around.) First, I discovered the entire house frequently smells like tacos. Standard. Secondly, I realized that boys are really, really helpful with home improvement jobs (or at least my guy is. Awesome!) Third, I learned that boys really do enjoy when you feed them, even if they don't admit they would like a little help, erm... "diversifying" their options. 

For example, one night JC sat down to a dinner of about 6 oz of plain sirloin steak. Literally that was it. Needless to say, I took this as my time for an intervention. Especially after I mentioned just doubling whatever I cook, and John's eager answer was, "I'lleatwhateveryouputinfrontofme!!!" 

So this week, I decided to try my hand at domesticism and feed us Crowdemans. 

Have any of you guys happened upon Whole Foods's Family Meal Planner? Um, LIFE CHANGING! I like to consider myself a creative cook, but this week of easy, well-balanced meals is just too good to be true. 

Last night, I tried my hand at grilled portobello burgers. 



After John & I finished up our furniture picking up adventure, I decided to fry up these pups while JC was dropping the zippy car off. By the time he got home, dinner was on the table. 

Hey, I said domestic, didn't I? 

Marinated & Grilled Portybello Mushroom Burgs

You'll need:
4 large portobello caps
4 100% whole wheat hamburger buns
Balsamic Vinegar
Cinnamon
Fixins' (Spicy mustard, sliced onion, avocado & salsa if you're me!)
Sliced raw bell pepper strips
Hummus of your choosing 

After washing, soak portobellos in a balsamic vinegar & cinnamon marinade. I don't know what inspired me to add cinnamon to balsamic vin but it was truly amazeballcity. 

Grill 'em up, or skillet them. The portys grill quick so keep flipping. 

Prepare your fixins'


Voila! Serve with raw tri-colored pepper strips on the side, with hummus (we chose spinach & artichoke variety.)


These were delicious and ridiculously easy. My one regret would be not thinking to add a slice of part skim cheese on top of that magical mushroom. JC even admitted he could hardly tell the difference between the mush & the meat :) (although he made me promise not to tell you guys he said so!)


1 comment:

  1. Those look delicious! I just started liking mushrooms recently, I'll have to try those out. Can't wait to see what your place looks like!

    ReplyDelete