Friday, February 10, 2012

I like to oat [muffins]

Happy Friday!! 
{Scroll down for Breakfast Oat Muffins!}

Since it is in fact Friday, and I've been attempting the South Beach diet for exactly 4 weeks, I thought I'd give an update (for my own benefit if you frankly DGAF.)

Quick recap: I spent 2 weeks on "Phase 1", which eliminates all fruit, starchy carbs like bread, pasta etc., sugar including but not limited to alcohol. In that time, I lost somewhere between 4-5 pounds. 

Since then, I've spent the last 2 weeks phasing fruit & whole grain carbs only into my diet - 1 grain & 1 fruit a day only. The result? I've gained some weight back, at least according to the scale today - somewhere between 2-3 pounds. 

@#$#%@%%!! What gives??

While there were definitely some cheats in there including our tasting, I have for the very most part been on the straight and narrow. Not to carry on about myself for an extended period of time but all I can think of is I haven't exactly been enthusiastically working out. Or working out period, beyond a day of dance and one day of weight training. Not what you'd call consistent. 

But in the words of Sophia Mergara, I can't seriously diet AND seriously work out. 


Does that look like the body of a liar? I knew I couldn't stand her. 

Anyway, I'm going to TRY to drag my behind out of bed early enough to fit in 20 minutes of workout time in the mornings next week and take it from there. 

Meanwhile, I have to introduce y'all to a scrumptious recipe that makes midweek breakfasts a snap. If you like oats or bread, particularly in combination, or if you resemble an angry zombie who is only further enraged by making meals in the mornings, here's an idea for you that is far superior to eating your breakfast out of a package.

Delicious Nutritious Morning Oat Muffins
{Adapted From South Beach Diet Supercharged}



Makes 12 muffins

I froze half of my batch for future emergencies. They thaw super easily just out on the counter overnight!

Ingredients
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons oats
1 cup buttermilk - I made my own subsitute: 1 T white vinegar, add milk to 1 cup mark. Let stand 5 minutes then use.
1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour or whole grain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup canola oil
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup brown sugar substitute - I used Splenda because I couldn't find Stevia brown sugar sub
1 teaspoon vanilla 

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.

In a small bowl, combine 3⁄4 cup of the oats and the buttermilk. Let soak for 30 minutes.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and walnuts.

In a large bowl, stir together the oil, egg, brown sugar substitute, and vanilla until well blended. Stir in the oat mixture. Stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Do not overmix.

Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling them about two-thirds full. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons oats over the muffins. Bake for 11 to 15 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes.

Remove to the rack to cool completely.

Nutritional Information:
180 calories, 10 total fat (1 g sat), 4 g protein, 3 g fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment