Friday, June 10, 2011

Dessert for Breakfast!

First off, Merry Weekend!

Though there is no complaining on Fridays (strictly enforced), the following wasn't exactly enough to make me leap out of bed:


Needless to say, torrential downpour made my morning bus relay race a little interesting. And soppy.

On a day like today, a working girl needs a tasty & satisfying breakfast to get those brain wheels a-turnin'. If you're anything like me, you've got a FIERCE sweet tooth - one sharp enough to derail any healthy eating lifestyle.

 Recently I've been able to keep my primal sugar cravings in check, largely because of Cinch! by Cynthia Sass. Cynthia has changed my life, and I plan to dedicate more time to her soon. 

Folks, I bring you ... Dessert for Breakfast. 


I've been grinding up this frosty first-meal all week, much to my sleeping roommate's chagrin (She's a trooper.)

Dessert for Breakfast Smoothie
Adapted from Cinch!
1 small pear, chopped
1/2 C. 100% whole oats
1/4 C. semi sweet chocolate chips (dark chocolate)
1 C. Original Almond Milk 
1-2 ice cubes (don't go too cube-crazy, you'll dull the flavor.)

Throw in magic bullet, blender, etc. & slurp!

Cookie monsters, cake lovers, chocolate fiends, unite & be satiated! This smoothie packs a full serving of produce, enough protein from the almond milk and whole grain from the oats to keep you full. The quarter cup of dark chocolate is a higher quality serving of sweetness, and comes from all natural plant-based sources, kind of like nut butters & avocado. 

It's easy, tasty, FILLING, and keeps me from giving in to the ever-so-strong temptations of stale office cake and year-old vending machine candy. 

Don't be afraid to get a little crazy and try some different fruit combos! I finally strayed away from the pear today. 



I recommend choosing from the milder variety of nature's candy (read: not raspberries) so as to avoid the fruit overpowering the smoothie. 

So despite the deluge, it's still Friday and I'm still a happy camper. Tonight we're attending a free private happy hour for a birthday at Wrightwood Tap (a Notre Dame bar, no less!), and we'll see where the rest of the weekend takes us. Someplace relaxing, methinks. 

Let me know if you try the delicious smoothie!

1 comment: