Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Odds & Ends Bowl!

listening to hands reversed tokyo police club

So Sunday night, after our weekly Volleyball match (and before you ask, YES, we lost again), I had a pretty dilemmus maximus on my hands. It was time to hit up my neighborhood Whole Foods for the week. I was starving. I didn't feel like cooking. I have after-work commitments 2 nights this week. What's a health-conscious lady to do?!

See my schedule was all kinds of thrown off. Because I consider Whole Foods to be the caviar of grocery stores, I prefer to shop for essentials & staples at Trader Joe's (which is more like the sushi plate, while Jewel & Dominick's are vacuum-sealed cans of tuna. Yummy. Sorry 'bout it.) But since the day, and weekend for that matter, had gotten away from me, I had to make Whole Foods work for me.

It's safe to say that I had contracted a pretty lethal case of Chef's Block, a big part of it due to sheer laziness. This week in Chicago weather might have something to do with that fact:


Hip hip hooray.

SO as I roamed WF knowing I had to get a plan together before the guy working at Chipotle became my new best friend for the week (no offense to my fiance), I started doing a mental fridge scan in my mind. I knew I would need fresh veggies, but what did I have at home that could possibly fit all my puzzle pieces?! 

Here's what I came up with. A Steph original - trust me, these are hard to come by, so enjoy it, all 10 of my readers. 

Odds & Ends Pasta-Slaw Bowl 
Serves 1 

Cook up 1/2 cup whole wheat pasta (no salt, cheaters!)


Next, heat up a bit of olive oil in a skillet, shallots (1/8-1/4 C) & garlic (1-2 cloves) Look at that sizzle! Mmm.


Add in 1 C. Broccoli Slaw (Whole Foods has a great mix - contains just organic broc & organic carrots!), black pepper & red pepper flakes, and mix all that goodness up.


Transfer into a regular bowl, and mix in 1 T pesto.


Add in pasta, and top with 1/4 C. low fat or fat free feta. Enjoy the party in your mouth - warm and cool, a little salt from the cheese and lots of spice from the veggies!


Yum! Definitely would be easy to swap in other veggie combos as well. 

& of course no delicious meal is complete without...


a cold orange la croix! Frosty.



No comments:

Post a Comment